Supabase vs Firebase - Which is better for you?
Supabase - A Complete Back End Solution for Web and Mobile Applications
Supabase is a remarkable back end solution for web and mobile applications, built entirely on free open source software. Unlike other popular options like Firebase and Amplify, Supabase offers an open source alternative that doesn't lock you into proprietary technology or a specific cloud platform.
One of the standout features of Supabase is its easy-to-understand UI for managing a PostgreSQL database. This UI automatically generates REST and GraphQL APIs that can be used in your code. The database also integrates directly with user authentication, making it incredibly simple to implement row-level security. Furthermore, like Firebase, Supabase allows you to listen to real-time data changes while effortlessly scaling to handle any workload.
To get started with Supabase, you have the flexibility to either self-host with Docker or sign up for a fully managed account that includes a free tier. The intuitive dashboard allows you to create tables in your PostgreSQL database with just a click, insert columns to build your schema, and add rows to populate it with data. Additionally, every project comes with an authentication schema, which enables you to control access to your data with row-level security policies.
While Supabase provides everything you need to build an authenticated full-stack application, it also supports running custom server-side code. This can be achieved through serverless Edge functions developed with Dino and TypeScript, which can be easily distributed globally.
- Web and mobile back end solution based on free open source software
- Infrastructure includes database, file storage, and cloud-based Edge functions
- Intuitive UI for managing PostgreSQL database with automatic REST and GraphQL API generation
- Direct integration with user authentication and support for row-level security
- Real-time data changes with effortless scalability
- Flexible options for self-hosting or using a fully managed account
- Simplified management with an easy-to-understand UI
- Robust and scalable infrastructure for handling any workload
- Automatic generation of REST and GraphQL APIs for efficient development
- Real-time data changes for enhanced user experience
- Limited customer support channels available
Overall, Supabase is a powerful and flexible solution for building web and mobile applications. It eliminates the challenges of architecting a complete system at scale while avoiding proprietary technology and cloud platform lock-ins. With its user-friendly interface, comprehensive features, and extensive documentation, Supabase empowers developers to create robust and secure applications efficiently.
In this product review, we will dive into the question of Firebase is a necessary service in 2023. We will provide insights from the perspectives of the world, teaching world, and explore the alternatives. us as we explore the pros and cons of Firebase and discuss whether it is worth considering your backend needs.
- Firebase's monopoly the backend as a service market.
- Vendor lock-in and the challenges of migrating away Firebase.
- The need for specific Firebase services and alternatives.
- The rise of open-source alternatives in the backend as a service space. Introducing Apprite, an open-source alternative to.
- Apprite's popularity and ease of use, with Docker containerization. -ing documentation between Firebase and Apprite.
Utilizing App with Azure or credits for a cost-effective solution.
- Apprite offers fine-grained control and detailed stats about your backend and.
- Open-source nature allows for modifications and avoids vendor lock-in.
- Affordable pricing even for apps with a large user base.
- Apprite's UI provides a better user experience.
Docker containerization simplifies installation and configuration.
- Firebase's pricing model be, especially for additional features.
- Firebase's documentation may be outdated compared to newer standards- Lack of customer support for Apprite.
Overall, if you are looking for an alternative to Firebase, App is a strong contender. Its open-source nature, ease of use, affordability make it an attractive choice for startups and developers. Whether you choose to use it a standalone app or with Docker, Apprite provides viable option for your backend needs. Stay tuned for future videos where we will dive deeper using Apprite and exploring its features.